Sunday, November 30, 2008

Northeast Gate Tour


Once a month, the Marines host a tour of the Northeast Gate which is the only legal crossing point between GTMO and Cuba.** We decided to take advantage of this tour along with about 50 other folks, filling two buses. Prior to the tour getting underway, we watched the morning "Call to Colors" in which the American flag is raised while the national anthem is played over loudspeakers.

The 15 minute drive to the Northeast Gate crosses salt flats once filled with over 50,000 land mines which have mostly been removed.

During the early 1950’s over 4,000 Cubans came through the gate to work on the base. However, with the Cuban revolution in 1959, things changed -- the U.S. banned entrance into Cuba and Castro cut off the labor supply of Cubans to the base.

Presently, just three Cuban men, all in their 80’s, arrive on the Cuban side at 6:00 a.m. daily, walk across, and work on the base. “Work” is loosely defined -- their main task is carrying retirement checks back across the border to those Cubans no longer working on the base.







This sign on the Cuban side of the gate may be translated two different ways:

"The Republic of Cuba - Free Country of America" or "The Republic of Cuba - Country Free of America."








In 1964, the Cuban government ordered the water supply to the base be cut off. This was in retaliation to the arrest of 36 Cubans who were found fishing illegally in Florida waters. When the water cut-off occurred, there were about 14 millions gallons of water in storage on the base. Strict rationing was initiated.

When accusations were made by the Cuban government that the base was stealing water from Cuba, the admiral at that time ordered that sections of water pipe be cut and permanently removed to disprove the allegation. (This is a photo of where the section of pipe was cut and removed.) To help the base become as self-sufficient as possible, a huge desalinization plant was dismantled in California and transported to GTMO. In six short months, the plant was de-constructed, transported, re-constructed, and operational on the base.





Our understanding is that a respectful relationship is currently in place between the Marine sentries and the Cuban guards throughout the 17 miles of existing fence line.

Opposite is a photo of a Cuban sentry outpost. You can see two guards, one who is looking at us through binoculars.

We have been informed that preparations are being made for the day that normalized relations resume between the U.S. and Cuba. It is expected at that time over 50,000 Cubans will cross the gate into the base.


**Approximately six to ten Cubans attempt a water crossing from Cuba to Florida every month. And about four to six Cubans try either by land or by water to get into the base.

1 comment:

Baroness of Treebling said...

Dear Vince and Cathy,

What a great surprise to get your call today. I'm so sorry I wasn't inside to hear the phone.

This is the first time I've availed myself of the entertainment on your blog site. Wow. What I've been missing. You have such rich, entertaining entries. Reading your comments and seeing the photos reminds me a little of living on an army base, and how different it can be from mainstream society. There seems to be almost an instant friendship set up, and most of your needs are met very effectively by the government. Social life almost takes care of itself, and I remember feeling very safe living on a military post.

Life has been good here. I do worry about Sandy from time to time. I'm sure you know that she is still without a job, and has been doing temporary holiday work at Bath and Body Works. She is the only one of us who seems to be one step away from true financial trouble. I'm hoping that the country can stop its free fall from all the economic wishful thinking that has happened over the last 10 years, and that we stabilize a bit.

I'm thankful that the Bush days are almost over. Whew.

Thanksgiving was fun. Steve, Dee, and Rowan came, and I cooked and cooked. It was fun, and somewhat meditative. Cooking a meal that has giving thanks as its intent is a work of meaningfulness. (Is that a word?) We had the usual turkey and all the accompanying things. This time we didn't shoot the bird and dress it ourselves. Will never do that again.

Today I went to church, and then later spent the afternoon clearing some of the acreage. I had wanted to keep much of it untouched, as a wildlife area, but with the drought the chance of wildfire is enhanced, and the idea of getting rid of all the deadwood becomes more attractive. I keep thinking that some of the native underbrush will return on its own when the rain levels return to normal, thereby creating healthier ecosystem in my little corner of the world. That's my rationalization, anyway. As long as it isn't poison oak, I don't care what grows there.

I've been painting quite a bit more recently, and really love getting back to it. I actually sold a painting to my massage therapist (well, we traded a massage for the painting. I hope that counts.) She now wants another one, and so I'm presently feeling much encouraged, and hoping to improve more and more.

Russ is very enthusiastic about coming to visit you. There was excitement in his voice when he was talking to me about it over the phone. I'd love to come, too, but my next trip needs to be to China, apparently, and the airplane thing is just looming laaarge. Did you mention that you had to get there via some small puddle jumper?

I miss you both. You are so dear to me.

Gees, I hope this gets to you (read: my computer putziness doesn't screw up getting this message out to you).

Love always,

Julia
Oh, and loved the toad picture.